Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Bill Rea, Food Box Challenge Participant

As of 9 a.m. Wednesday:

I blew it! I failed! My resolve cracked in the face of circumstances over which I had no control.

Couldn’t my nephew have found another day for his ninth birthday?

But there I was Tuesday evening at a birthday party.

For whatever mitigation value this might have, while I ate more than I was supposed to, I don’t think my over-indulgence was excessive. In fact, it might have been a good thing.

I got away with skipping lunch Monday, and naturally figured I could do it again Tuesday. Not!

I started the day with a piece of toast and large glass of water. But by early afternoon, I felt signs that things might be catching up with me. I spent most of the afternoon battling a headache.

I made a quick trip home before the birthday party to get a bit of food in me. It was another piece of toast and some more Cheez Whiz on crackers. It hit the spot, but I realized some serious planning of my evening meal was in order.

But I found I was in a spot when my brother-in-law Paul arrived home with a couple of bags filled with food from Swiss Chalet. So it was a case of walking out on a kid’s birthday party, violating the spirit of this exercise I find myself in or hoping I could find some middle ground. In that regard, I got a little lucky.

Among the side orders was a small container of corn, which the birthday boy and I ended up splitting.

“Eat your corn before it gets cold,” his mother Michelle admonished me.

Beth and I also split a roll.

And then there was the birthday cake. I told Michelle I would have a small piece. One of these days, she and I have to work out a mutual definition of the word small.

I also had a cup of coffee, my first since Sunday morning.

It is true that I knew this special birthday was coming, but I had hoped I would be able to maintain my participation in this effort without being a party-pooper. It’s also true that such conflicts have faced others taking part. And Beth raised the issue with me, pointing out that even people in the direst circumstances are invited to the occasional birthday party, or some other function at which they can indulge. That is true, but it’s also true that there are going to be plenty of weeks when there are no such invitations, and I think that’s a reality that I’m supposed to be experiencing.

I am trying to keep the spirit of the exercise in mind.

This morning was the Mayor’s Business Breakfast. At the risk of seeming anti-social, I opted not to sit at a table at which people were eating, meaning I stood the whole time.

But in keeping with my resolve, I saved my entire coffee consumption for the week to today (not counting the unanticipated cup at the birthday party). So while I didn’t eat, I did avail myself of two cups; the first two of many today.

It’s back to work. And I did pack a lunch of bread and chicken soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment