Tuesday, May 8, 2012


Lori Pirroncello, Counselling & Care Coordinator

Hi Everyone,

I work alongside Layla Panjeta who is taking part in the Hunger Awareness Week challenge. 

I decided two weeks ago to start training for a 5km run with my friend Natalie.  We have been running together for two weeks and she has been encouraging me to eat healthier.  She took me to the grocery store and we bought Greek yogurt, hummus, Fiber One cereal and lots of fresh fruits and vegetables.  The total bill was very high.  I thought to myself that it was very expensive to eat healthy!

I chose not to participate in the Hunger Awareness challenge because I did not think I could eat what was in the box and have the energy to do my runs.  Natalie agreed that the processed food would not give me the proper nutrients. 

The difference is that I have a choice.  The families I work with everyday do not have that choice.  Their income may be reduced due to divorce, job loss, illness or they are on a fixed pension or disability.

I hope that everyone in Caledon can gain insight into what our families are facing each month.  Our families need to have a choice and a voice about what they need to keep their families energized and healthy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment