Monday, May 14, 2012


Karen Hutchinson, Food Box Challenge Participant

Friday May 11:


I like to think Friday was my best day for local food in the last few hours of the hunger awareness campaign – other than my morning coffee!

I started the day with K2 milled local oatmeal.  I tried a few type of oatmeal this week, but by far my favourite was K2 from Tottenham – just north-east of Caledon.  The oats were interesting and it was almost like it was a multi-grain texture.  They didn’t go mushy and they had incredible flavor.  Best of all, I knew they were local – grown and milled close to home by a true local food advocate and third generation miller Mark Hayho.  See www.eatlocalcaledon.org for contact information.

For lunch, just before we met at Caledon Community Services, I had my brunch.  I had just received a newsletter from Kitchen Gardeners International and one of the posts was titled, “Dandelion Salads:  For those who like to Eat on the Wild Side” by Barbara Damorsch (http://kgi.org/blog/barbara-damrosch/dandelion-salads-those-who-eat-wild-side), a gardening and culinary expert in her own right, but also Eliot Coleman’s partner.  He is America’s most famous four-season farmer.

So I had fresh wild harvested dandelion greens with a soft cooked egg on top.  It was an amazing finish to the week for a local foodie, but also something accessible to most.

No comments:

Post a Comment