Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Father Larry, Food Box Challenge Participant

Day 2 - Social Isolation 

Well I made it through fine yesterday - and was only tired in the mid afternoon.  I had packed a Peanut Butter sandwich for yesterday's meal - and I had to eat my dinner in my office - because one of the confirmation candidates was allergic to Peanuts.

This morning one of my friends called to wish me happy anniversary - May 8, 1993 I was ordained a priest - and to invite me out to Lunch to celebrate. No can do!

Social Isolation
This is one of the hidden costs of hunger.  Those who lack food security are often isolated in our society.  There are not enough apples to share for a snack, so classmates cannot come over after school.  There is barely enough food, and certainly not many treats, so friends do not stop by for "tea" and cookies. People don't invite you over because you can't invite them over. Even my case of having to eat my sandwich alone in the office - is just a symbol of the isolation those who experience poverty experience on a weekly basis. And I will still get to go out with my friend - it will just be next week.

I looked at this rotting apple that was in the parking lot of the High School - I actually took a second look - thinking - this might be salvageable... Really.

I would never normally think of something like this. I am blessed.  I really have no concerns about food. If I want something I get it.  Like many these days - I opt for unhealthy choices and I eat fast food way too often! But I can afford it, at least financially - my doctor, who I see today, would say I can't afford it physically!

Off to prepare my Lunch - and hope that I will get a few meals out of my "Pasta" and sauce. Yeah Lentils!
Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment