Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Father Larry, Food Box Challenge Participant

Food Box Challenge - Day 3 - To Have or Not to Have

Some more pictures of my meals:
Breakfast - Tuesday - Friday

Lunch on Tuesday - Pasta with Lentils and tomato sauce


Supper Tuesday Night - Meat Pie and Salad (& Kidney Beans!)
You might not notice that some of the salad is browning!

Wednesday Lunch - Multi grain Rice from Uncle Ben's
And the Canned Chicken Salad - with Mayo from the Pantry

So the question I asked myself Sunday Night - as I was eating plenty of meat and "stocking up" on a bag of raw veggies: Is it better:
1. to have and then not have - or 

2. to not have - and then have?

Neither is desired - to be sure - but which is better?  At least psychologically - or emotionally - I figure option 2 is better - maybe that's just me!

I decided that since I only have 4 yogurts - and 5 days - that I would not have yogurt on Monday Morning - and then have it each morning after that. Ultimately this awareness campaign is about no one being left behind and not having food (and housing) security in our community.


Nutrition Concerns:

I visited my Doctor Tuesday afternoon - I have had cholesterol and other issues for years yet in the last 2 years a new concern was adult onset diabetes.  I lost some weight (some of which I found again!) and reduced the amount of carbs I eat.  Well this Food Box diet is all about the carbs.  Like another participant - I am realizing that I will have enough filling food - I just wont have enough "Healthy" food. I made some choices in my "Food Box": Whole Wheat Pasta, Light Soup, Multi Grain Rice, and Tuna as a meat.  I chose 12 grain bread.  
But some of the other choices - which I thought were good because of economy are not good nutritionally.  My Iceberg lettuce - while it fills a bowl nicely, is essentially water. Spring Mix is better nutritionally - but is much more expensive! 
 
The Meat Pie I had for dinner Tuesday was only $ 0.67, (and did not really look like the picture on the outside of the box!) yet it had 41% of my daily saturated fat. And not a lot of protein!  On top of all that it was to cook in an oven for 35-40 Minutes.  Imagine the energy I would use on just one - so I cooked both and will have the second later this week...

The doctor is sending me for a full set of blood work tests, but he advised I wait until after the challenge this week - so that my blood starts to get back to normal!

No comments:

Post a Comment