Thursday, May 10, 2012

Father Larry, Food Box Challenge Participant

Day 4 - Carbs, Carbs and more Carbs

Greetings All!  I took a nap today!  After a busy morning in the parish with Students from one of our Elementary Schools (its Catholic Education Week!) and a "Carb" rich lunch - I had a nap. 

I heard I was short with people this morning before Mass. 
 
Tortellini soup and
Fish Sandwich
I was having a bit of a headache, and I thought - I have some time - so I took it.

Here is the only picture I have of Fr. Damian's Lunch! Ummm looks good... 
 
Meanwhile I had Tomato Soup (with some of the Rice and KD Noodles) and a "Tuna Casserole" (which was KD Noodles, some of the Cheese sauce pack and my can of Tuna).
Did I tell you that I don't like Tomato soup? I like creamy soups. 
KD & Tuna Casserole
Did I tell you I didn't choose milk, as a purchase or a pantry item? That meant the KD was made with water and oil, not milk and  margarine/butter! It was OK - But again - its the repetitive nature of all this that I am very aware of.... Carbs, Carbs, and more Carbs.  They are filling - but not always healthy.  I am craving veggies - and looking forward to the meal tomorrow that will include some real veggies...


What I was really aware of yesterday, as I was caught in the rain (I have been trying to use my car less) was that I am still going about my life in all kinds of ordinary ways.  In a sense this food box challenge has really only been done as a segmented part of my life. In all other respects I am going about things normally.  I went to the bank and bought foreign currency as a gift for my Dad who is going to Ireland in 2 weeks, I paid my weekly tax on the poor (Lottery Tickets) and went to the Barber. Then I went to the drug store (not the dollar store) for a card for dad, and picked up one of my prescriptions and I only had to pay $3.00 of the $95 cost because of my drug plan. If I was a regular client at the food bank - would I be doing all that?
 
Would I have waited another few weeks for my hair cut? Or would I get someone else to play barber with a clipper from the store?
 
I certainly wouldn't spend $4.95 on a birthday card!
 
Again and again I realize how blessed I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment