Wednesday, May 9, 2012


Layla Panjeta, Food Box Challenge Participant

I felt it today. This diet or lack thereof is really taking a strain on my body. I woke up with a massive headache and the feeling of exhaustion has followed me throughout the day.

The meals aren’t bothering me; I think I’ll have enough to last me much longer than I anticipated. Tonight I’m making homemade meatballs (bought the ground beef with the $8) along with some corn and rice; I’m actually looking forward to dinner tonight.

Today Kim D’Eri had a Lunch & Learn for Hunger Awareness Week for all CCS staff. I came in there, sat down and opened up my bean salad with tuna, and almost immediately my colleagues moved to the other side of the table. I saw that everyone was on the other side. I felt like that child in elementary school who gets picked on for their lunches. I admit it didn’t look or smell appetizing at all.

Even when I think back to my childhood where we would have pizza or sub days; it was a must that your parents had to pay for that luxury. What if your parents couldn’t afford that? This is an every day struggle for many families.

Even though I may not be chipper or have the best smelling lunches. I am so happy that I’m participating in this challenge and the fact that we have 1000 hits on our website makes it that much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment